The BROADWAY BEARS, “Portland’s Furriest Singers,” are Andy Mangels, Cory Clinton, Darin MacLeod, Johnny Cakes Amundson, and Mark Steering, with direction by Andres Alcala. The members of the quintet have decades of stage experience encompassing theatrical, choral, opera, television, film, and teaching arenas. BROADWAY BEARS was founded in mid-2011 by Andy Mangels, and the group has performed charitable concerts and at local events in 2012-2014, including a popular and bravura performance at the 2014 return of Peacock in the Park. They will soon be the opening act for this year’s 20th anniversary of Peacock in the Park on June 28, 2015 at Washington Park Amphitheatre.
With all live singing in solos, duet, trio, and group numbers, the “DIVAS ARE A GAY’S BEST FRIEND” concerts will include female songs from Sweet Charity, Company, City Of Angels, A Chorus Line, Rent, Cowgirls, Les Miserables, Ragtime, West Side Story, Chicago, Victor Victoria, Spring Awakening, Cabaret, Gypsy, The Sound Of Music, Chess, The Wizard Of Oz, Side Show, and Footloose, plus segments from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Evita, Wicked, Funny Girl, Hello Dolly, and a few surprises!
The concerts will benefit two local scholarships for the GLBT communities — the Pride of the Rose Scholarship Fund and the Audria M. Edwards Scholarship Fund — as well as Our House of Portland, a 24-hour residential care facility for people living with HIV/AIDS, and Esther’s Pantry, a vital community providing financially challenged individuals living with HIV/AIDS access to food and personal care items.
Broadway Bears “Divas Are a Gay’s Best Friend” Cabaret Concerts
- What: All Live Cabaret Concerts celebrating female songs from the Stage and Screen by Portland’s Furriest Singers
- When: Friday May 15th, Saturday 16th, & Sunday 17th, 2015, Doors 6:00 pm
Curtain 7:00 pm
- Where: The Embers Avenue, 110 NW Broadway, Portland, Oregon
- Who: The Broadway Bears are Andy Mangels, Cory Clinton, Darin MacLeod, Johnny Cakes Amundson, and Mark Steering, with direction by Andres Alcala.
- How: Tickets may be reserved at www.BroadwayBears.org or purchased at door
- Cost: $10 Tickets, over 21 years of age only.
- Benefits: The Pride of the Rose Scholarship Fund, The Audria M. Edwards Scholarship Fund, Our House of Portland, and Esther’s Pantry