This LGBTQI scholarship fund, named for Audria M. Edwards, was established in 1987 and is funded by donations, variety show proceeds, and community fundraisers
The scholarship fund, named for Audria M. Edwards, was established by her children, Elwood “Woody” Johnson (aka Lady Elaine Peacock) and Misty Marie Waters in 1987. In 1993, the Fund was willed to Maria Peters Lake and Kimberlee Van Patten, who co-founded Peacock Productions, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization. Peacock Productions, Inc. administers the Audria M. Edwards Scholarship Fund, and is funded by donations, variety show proceeds, and community fundraisers.
Individuals are eligible for scholarships if they:
- Will be pursuing post-secondary, under-graduate education in an accredited institution or program during the coming school year;
- Are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, Queer or Intersex or have an LGBTQI parent;
- Have been a resident for at least one year in the State of Oregon or in Clark, Cowlitz, Skamania, or Wahkiakum Counties in Washington.
- Complete the application form (see below).
- Compile a one-page essay, submit two letters of recommendation and a transcript.
- Read and sign the affidavit at the end of the application form.
- Send the form and enclosures on or before April 1st to:
- Mail to: The Audria M. Edwards Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 16337, Portland, Oregon 97292 or,
- Scan or take photos of form and enclosures and Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application packets that are incomplete or postmarked after the April 1st deadline will not be reviewed.
A committee appointed by Peacock Productions, Inc. will review materials from all applicants and select finalists on the basis of the following qualifications:
- Clarity of career and educational goals;
- Potential to succeed in an educational program;
- Experience as a volunteer or service-oriented leader;
- Commitment to the LGBTQ community;
All finalists will be interviewed by the Review Committee who determines who will receive scholarships and how much funding each recipient will receive. Checks will be mailed to students’ schools and credited to their student accounts before the beginning of the school year. Funds may be used for tuition, fees, and on-campus room and board charges, but cannot be applied toward off-campus housing, transportation, dependent care, or other personal expenses.
If you feel you meet the minimum criteria listed above, you may download the application below in Word of PDF format.